Our coaching staff features some of the area’s most respected coaches. We place an emphasis on skill instruction and player development, while also expanding the understanding of game concepts and team strategies detailed biographical information for our coaching staff can be found on our website.
Coach 2013 Team
Sean Smith, Hofstra assistant coach will be joining the Long Island Express coaching staff. He will be coaching the 2013 Team. Sean is a 14 year veteran of the Hofstra Lacrosse coaching staff.
- Sean Smith is entering his 14th season on the Hofstra Lacrosse coaching staff in 2012. Smith, who came to Hofstra from Division Avenue High School in Levittown, New York
- Served on John Danowski's coaching staff from 1998 through 2006 and returned to Seth Tierney's staff for the 2008 season.
- Smith helped develop 2001 Tewaaraton Trophy recipient Doug Shanahan, who also won National Player of the Year and National Midfielder of the Year accolades as well.
- Also coached 53 all-conference players, seven conference players and rookies of the year, 25 All-Americans and 25 North-South All-Stars.
- Two of those all-stars, Doug Shanahan and Brett Moyer, went on to win MVP honors at the North-South All-Star Game.
- In 2006 Smith directed Tewaaraton Trophy finalist Chris Unterstein and helped the Pride to a berth in the NCAA Quarterfinals. In is 13 years with the program Smith has also seen eight players go on to earn USILA Scholar All-America honors.
- As a player at Roanoke College, Smith was named to the USILA Division III All-American team in 1982 and 1983. He tallied 50 goals in 1981 and 51 in 1982.
- Smith concluded his college career as Roanoke's career leader and is currently second with 145 goals. He also ranks seventh in career scoring with 208 points and in the top 15 in career assists with 63.
- In 1996 Smith was inducted into the Roanoke College Athletic Hall of Fame.
Coach 2019 Team
- Four year starter at Penn State.
- Captain and 1987 All American
- Played Professional Lacrosse in the MILL Pittsburgh Bulls
- Currently still playing competitive lacrosse
- Penn State Assistant Coach 1989, 1990
- Coached High School Lacrosse at North Shore, Head coach JV
- Volunteered to coach Syosset HS Varsity Summer Team multiple years
- Volunteered to coach 3V lacrosse for Four years "while not having a kid in the program"
- Boys and girls 3v lax coach for the past 5 years.
Coach 2019 Team
- Coaching youth sports in 3Vil for past 6 years- Last season 9 Year old Football team was Division I County Champions, 10 Year old LAX team undefeated in PAL
- Captain and 4 Year starter for both C.W. Post Football Team and C.W. Post Lacrosse Team 1984-1985
- Recipient of Award Emblematic of top student Athlete –C.W. Post College 1985
- Played four seasons and Captain for John Danowski (current Duke LAX coach)-
1985 Team Ranked as high as 5 nationally –Division 1
- Academic All American Division II Football - 1984
- Farmingdale HS –All Long Island Football Team 1981
- Played youth and HS lacrosse with various Hall of Fame members
Coach 2021 Team
- Physical Education Teacher at Farmingdale High School -1993-Present
- West Babylon High School:
Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach West Babylon High School - 2007-2010
* Co-Coach of the Year in Division I - 2009
- Assistant Varsity Football Coach Farmingdale 1999- Present
- Quarterbacks and Running Backs Coach, Defensive Backs Coach
- Assistant Varsity Lacrosse Coach Farmingdale High School - 1993-2005, 2011
- Played on the Varsity Football, Wrestling, Lacrosse Teams
- Earned Joe Sebaskianski award in 1986 to top senior athlete in school Ithaca College 1986-1990, Physical Education
- All ICAC Lacrosse 87-90
- All American 1990
- North-South Allstar game 1990
- Graduated form West Islip High School in 1986
Coach 2021 Team
- Health and Physical Education Teacher @ Walter G. O’Connell/Copiague High School, 2000-present
- Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach, 2011-Present
- Assistant Varsity Lacrosse Coach, 2003-2011
- Head Junior Varsity Lacrosse Coach, 2000-2003
- Suffolk County JV Coach of the Year, 2003
- Junior Varsity Football Coach, 2000-2009
-3x Undefeated Seasons
- Physical Education Teacher @ Kellenberg Memorial High School, 1998-2000
- Head Junior Varsity Lacrosse Coach, 1998-2000
- JV9 Lacrosse Coach @ Chaminade High School, 1996-1998
- South Shore Lacrosse Camp, 2000-Present. Grades K-9 @ Copiague’s Turf and grass facility
- South Shore Lacrosse Summer H.S. League, @ Tanner Park’s Turf Field, Middle School, JV and Varsity Divisions, 2000-Present.
- Youth Coach: Massapequa PAL, 3rd grade
- Adelphi University, 1992-1997. B.S., Physical Education
- Hofstra University, Masters in Health Education, 2001
- Chaminade High School
-played Lacrosse and Football
- Lives in Amityville with wife, Deja, and two children, Trey and Naomi
“I am proud to be a part of the Express organization. I am looking forward to taking these young athletes from all across Long Island and providing them with an experience they will remember for the rest of their lives. Their development will be great to see.”
2023 2nd Grade Coach
- LI HS Player if the Year 1996
- 2x High School All American
- Bethpage HS State Champions 1996
- All World Midfield, U-19 Team USA 1996
- 3x NCAA 1st Team AA - Johns Hopkins
- Member of Johns Hopkins All Time Team
- 5x MLL All Star L.I. Lizards
- 2x MLL Champion
- Member of Team USA 2006
- Long Island Lacrosse Hall of Fame - Class of 2013
2023 2nd Grade Coach
- 1978-1980 Holy Trinity HS - Captain
- 1981-1985 Saint John's University
- Captain 3 of 4 years
- Hills PAL coach for past 6 yrs (2nd thru 7th)